Who Is Required To Be Licensed?

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The following sites provide information on what type of licenses are required, how to verify a license, and how to obtain a license.    

The Maryland Home Improvement Commission licenses and regulates home improvement contractors and salespersons. Home improvement work includes alteration, remodeling, repair or replacement of a building or part of a building used as a residence. Home improvement also includes work done on individual condominium units. Home improvement does not include work done on commonly owned areas of condominiums or buildings that contain four or more single family units. The Commission investigates complaints by homeowners, awards monetary damages against licensed contractors, and prosecutes violators of the home improvement law and regulations.

All home builders who build homes in Maryland must be registered with the Consumer Protection Division before they enter into a contract with a consumer for the construction or sale of a new home.

  • Manufacture Home Installers - Must have a HUD Manufactured Home Installers License

Effective October 20, 2008, the Manufactured Home Installation Program will be available to ensure that states have in place a minimum installation standard and an operating installation program. For states where HUD will administer the Manufactured Home Installation Program, HUD will ensure that trainers of installers planning to work in HUD-administered states are registered with HUD, and that persons planning to install homes in HUD-administered states are licensed by HUD

For more information visit: SEBA Manufactured Home or HUD Manufactured Home Installation Program

A Marine Contractors License is needed for any individual or entity that solicits or performs marine contractor services in the State of Maryland. “Marine contractor services” means construction, demolition, installation, alteration, repair, or salvage activities located in, on, over, or under State or private tidal wetlands and includes: (1) dredging and filling; (2) the construction, demolition, installation, alteration, repair, or salvage of structures, including boathouses, boat or other personal watercraft lifts or ramps, slips, docks, floating platforms, moorings, piers, pier access structures, pilings, wetland observation platforms, wetland walkways, and wharfs; and (3) the construction, demolition, installation, alteration, repair, or salvage of stabilization and erosion control measures, including revetments, breakwaters, bulkheads, groins, jetties, stone sills, marsh establishments, and beach nourishment or other similar projects.

  • Plumbing & Gas Installers License- Master, Journeyman and Apprentice Plumbers must maintain a Maryland State And Cecil County Plumbing License.
    • Cecil County Plumbing License Information
    • Maryland State Board Of Plumbing
      • The State Board of Plumbing licenses and regulates individuals who provide or assist in providing plumbing and gas services in Maryland. As of October 1, 2000 the Board issues natural gas fitter licenses to qualified individuals who are non-plumbers. Both of these types of licenses are required for work throughout the State. The State Plumbing Board also issues a certificate to qualified individuals, who are non-plumbers, to provide propane gas services throughout the entire State.
  • Electrical License - Electrical Contractors must maintain a license in Cecil County regardless if they have a Maryland Statewide Master Electricians License.
    • Cecil County Electrical License Information
    • Maryland Statewide Electrical Board
      • The State Board of Master Electricians issues one category of license, that of Master Electrician. For many counties in the State, the Master Electrician's license is a prerequisite to obtaining the county electrical license. The Board does not investigate complaints; that function is the responsibility of the county or local subdivision. The Board may take disciplinary action against a person's State license, however, if the person is reprimanded, or the person's license is suspended or revoked by the local subdivision.
  • Heating/Air Conditioning/Refrigeration - Must maintain a Maryland Statewide License issued by the Maryland Board of Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractors. The State Board of Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractors (HVACR) licenses and regulates individuals who provide commercial and residential HVACR services, under the provision of Business Regulation Article 9A, Annotated Code of Maryland and COMAR 09.15. The Board also establishes codes and minimum standards for the installation, alteration, remodeling, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration systems. The Board investigates complaints against licensees, as well as complaints related to unlicensed practice. The Board may issue a reprimand, suspend or revoke a license as well as assess a civil penalty up to $5,000 for violations of the law and regulations.
  • Well Drillers
    The development of a new water supply source requires State and local permits. The link provides information on some MDE permits which are often required prior to the development of a new water supply.
  • Maryland State Fire Marshal Office
    The Office of the State Fire Marshal provides pre-construction services for building and fire protection system design plans.  Consultation is provided by their engineering staff. They also conduct on site inspections and acceptance testing of building construction and any fire protection systems. These inspections are coordinated closely with municipal and county building department authorities to ensure complete integration of the customer's inspection process. Additionally, they handle complaint inspections from concerned citizens and patrons of public buildings within the state. They also actively conduct random spot inspections of existing locations to ensure long term compliance with the State fire prevention code. These spot inspections include occupancy load counts during evening, weekend, and other peak times of day for assembly occupancies.  Contact them at 410-836-4844 for requirements and additional information. 

  • Sprinkler Installers - A list of licensed sprinkler contractors is available on the fire marshal's website
  • Maryland Department of Environment - Please visit MDE's website for information regarding regulations and licensing concerning mold, asbestos, lead, water, land, air, and public health.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer