Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

1. Where do I apply for a permit?

  •   Permit application is made at 200 Chesapeake Blvd, Elkton, MD 21921. Business hours are Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

2. Why do I need a permit?

  • Building codes (including structural, electrical, and plumbing) are designed to ensure safety. Codes set standards and help homeowners and the community have secure buildings. When applicants obtain a permit, they gain the benefit of a certified inspector that can offer guidance to help them save money, time, and frustration.

3. What do I have to show on my site plan to submit for a building permit?

  • All property lines
  • House location with proposed project
  • Setbacks
  • Well & septic locations if applicable
  • Driveway location
  • Any other existing structures

4. Do swimming pools - above & inground - require permits?

  • Permits are required for the installation of any pool, whether vinyl or inflatable, that is 24 inches or more.

 5. When is my permit complete?

  • The permit is complete when all final inspections pertaining to project  have been approved.

6. Do hot tubs & spas require permits?

  • Permits are required for the installation of all hot tubs and spas.

7. Do fences require permits?

  • If any part of the fence will be more than 7 (seven) feet high, applicants are required to get a permit.

8. Do sheds require permits?

  • Any shed, regardless of size or whether it is prefabricated or stick built, requires a permit.

9. Do I need a permit to replace an existing porch/deck?

  • Any porch/deck, regardless of whether it is new or a replacement, requires a permit.

10. Question: How can I get a question or issue concerning permit status, inspection, code, etc. resolved?

  • Each permit varies. To find out about your specific permit, inspection, or code please call the Division of Permits and Inspections at 410-996-5235. Calls are taken from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

11. What paperwork do I need to submit for a building permit?

  • Please refer to the Building Permit Information attached to each permit application.  It contains a list of items that must be submitted with each specific application.  Alternatively, please call 410-996-5235.

12. Burn permits?

  • Burn permits are issued by the Environmental Health Department. For more information, contact the Health Department at 410-996-5160 .

13. Basement permits. Do I need a permit to finish my basement?

  • If you are finishing the space to be used as any type of room, then, yes, a building permit is required.

14. Footer depth - What is the minimum footer depth requirement?

  • The minimum footer depth requirement is 32 inches.

15. Landlord/tenant complaints?

  • Complaints are taken by the Division of Permits and Inspections.  Please call 410-996-5235 to make a complaint. Calls are taken from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. All pertinent information will be filled out by a staff member on a complaint form which is then given to an inspector who will perform a field inspection. Depending on the situation, the inspector will take any necessary and proper action. For complete Minimum Livability Standards Code, please go to Chapter 240 of the Cecil County Code.

16. How much notice is required for inspections?

  • Twenty four hours notice is required for all inspections.

17. How much does a permit cost?

  • The fees vary based on the square footage, type of structure, residential, commercial, demolition, etc. Please call the Division of Permits and Inspections (410-996-5235) between 7:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday to ask questions about your specific project.

18. Is your contractor licensed?  Please verify by going to the website links below:

Electrical/Plumbing contractors must be licensed in Cecil County. Contact the Division of Permits and Inspections (410-996-5235) to verify.

Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration contractors must maintain a license through the Maryland Board of HVACR.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer