Cecil County Closures and Updates Due to Novel Coronavirus - Updated for March 26, 2020, 12:00 p.m.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 26, 2020
ELKTON, MD. – As of this morning, there are NINE confirmed cases of the Novel Coronavirus in Cecil County as reported by the Cecil County Health Department.
Cecil County remains under a state of emergency as issued by County Executive McCarthy on Monday, March 23rd. The Cecil County Administration Building remains closed to the public, except by appointment only. The main number to the administration building is 410-996-5200.
The following updates were provided by local public information officers throughout Cecil County this morning:
On March 25, 2020, Chief Judge Barbera issued an Administrative Order extending the Statewide Judiciary Closing of the Courts to the Public Due to the COVID-19 Emergency. The order directs that all court facilities will be closed to the public through May 1, 2020. It also specifies the core functions that will continue to take place daily, or as needed, within the Circuit Court.
- Circuit Court staff will continue to report to work at the direction of the County Administrative Judge.
- Pleadings will continue to be accepted electronically, by mail, and in paper (via a drop box located at the Circuit Court building).
- Circuit Court staff will also be available by phone to assist with questions during this time.
The administrative order issued by Chief Judge Barbera can be found online: https://www.mdcourts.gov/sites/default/files/admin-orders/20200325extendinglengthofrestrictedoperations.pdf
The daily docket showing the cases that will be heard each day can be found online: https://www.mdcourts.gov/data/circuit/ce/cedocket.pdf
(Only the cases highlighted will be heard in accordance with the Administrative Order)
If you have any questions, please contact the Circuit Court directly. A directory can be found online: https://www.courts.state.md.us/clerks/cecil/general
Responding to Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Human Trafficking During the COVID-19 Pandemic
The programs designed to respond to issues of domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking and child sexual abuse in Cecil County are The Bridge (Domestic Violence Rape Crisis Center) and the Child Advocacy Center. Each remains open and operational, although those in need of services must schedule an appointment in advance in order to enter the buildings.
The 24-hour hotline number for The Bridge is 410-996-0333 and many of our services can be provided via telephone to include safety planning, information about legal services, crisis intervention and referrals to other resources.
For local services regarding human trafficking, please call 443-406-5653. To report child abuse, please call the Department of Social Services at 410-996-0100 and press option 3.
During this time of pandemic we recognize that many may not have free and safe access to use their phones. The Bridge does not currently have the capabilities to offer online or texting options for the hotline. If you need to talk to someone about domestic violence, sexual assault/abuse or human trafficking and it is only safe to do so through chat or text, here are some resources:
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: www.thehotline.org or Text LOVEIS to 22522
- Rape Abuse Incest National Network (RAINN): www.rainn.org for live chat
- The National Human Trafficking Hotline: Text INFO or HELP to BeFree (233733)
Cecil County Sheriff’s Office:
In response to COVID-19, the following precautions are being taken by the Cecil County Sheriff’s Office:
- All civilian ride-alongs with the patrol division have been suspended.
- Building tours will not be conducted until further notice.
- Public fingerprinting services will not be available until further notice.
- Visitation to the Cecil County Detention Center has been suspended.
- Access to the Detention Center by volunteers for all programs has been suspended.
The Cecil County Sheriff’s will continue to respond to all calls where a deputy’s on scene response is needed. However, the Sheriff’s Office will handle non priority calls and incidents that do not require a deputy’s physical presence by telephone. There is no change regarding how the public will contact the Cecil County Sheriff’s Office.
ChristianaCare, Union Hospital: https://www.uhcc.com/about-us/in-the-news/coronavirus-update/
The Elkton Urgent Care location is temporarily closed until further notice. The decision to temporarily suspend urgent care services at Urgent Care of Elkton was an operational decision based on current market conditions and unrelated to an employee or patient having tested positive for COVID-19. The building remains open for LabCorp services.
Urgent care needs may be met through the hospital’s emergency department “fast track “or Urgent Care at Principio:
Principio Health Center
4863 Pulaski Highway, Suite 110
Perryville, MD 21903
Hours: Mon. - Fri.: 9a – 8p, Sat. - Sun.: 9a – 5p
Cecil County Parks & Recreation
While playground facilities remain closed, basketball courts are open. However, Parks & Rec staff reminds you to practice social distancing on the courts. One-on-one games, or teams of three or less are encouraged.
- Child Support Services: 800-332-6347
- FIA: 410-996-0100, option 1
- CPS/APS intake line: 410-996-0100, option 3 (this includes food referrals)
- OHEP: 410-996-0270
Cecil County Chamber of Commerce
Local tattoo parlors have graciously donated medical supplies to the hospital. The Chamber is also asking beauty salons that have materials that could be used by those at the frontline of medical care to donate if possible.
We continue to focus on our small businesses, restaurants, and breweries for customers to shop online, order pick up or delivery.
The Chamber’s electronic billboard will be updated to encourage the following message: “Use your head –Slow the spread.” Look for it!
Other important links for Cecil County agencies relating to COVID-19:
- Cecil College: https://www.cecil.edu/coronavirus
- Cecil County Animal Services: https://www.ccgov.org/government/animal-services
- Cecil County Council: https://www.ccgov.org/government/county-council
- Cecil County Circuit Court: https://www.courts.state.md.us/clerks/cecil
- Cecil County Department of Emergency Services: https://www.ccdes.org/. In the event of a true emergency, please dial 911.
- Cecil County Government: https://www.ccgov.org/services/coronavirus
- Cecil County Election Office: https://www.ccgov.org/government/election-board
- Cecil County Finance: https://www.ccgov.org/government/finance
- Cecil County Health Department: http://cecilcountyhealth.org/ or Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Call Line: 410-996-1005
- Cecil County Help Center: https://www.cecilhelp4u.com/Help-Center.html
- Cecil County Housing Office: https://www.ccgov.org/government/community-services/housing
- Cecil County Land Use & Development Services (incl. Permitting Office): https://www.ccgov.org/government/land-use-development-services
- Cecil County Office of Economic Development: https://www.ccgov.org/government/economic-development
- Cecil County Parks & Recreation: https://www.ccgov.org/government/parks-and-recreation
- Cecil County Public Library: https://www.cecil.ebranch.info/
- Cecil County Public Schools: https://www.ccps.org/ -- More details concerning instructional plans for students to come!
- Cecil County Sheriff’s Office: https://www.ccgov.org/government/sheriff-s-office. In the event of a true emergency, please dial 911.
- Cecil Transit: www.ceciltransit.com
- Office of the State’s Attorney for Cecil County: https://www.ccgov.org/government/state-s-attorney-s-office
- Register of Wills, Cecil County: http://registers.maryland.gov/main/cecil.html
- Aberdeen Proving Ground: https://www.facebook.com/APGMd
Please visit your local municipality websites and/or social media pages for information specific to your town:
To stay current on developments regarding the Novel Coronavirus on the following federal and state websites:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- Maryland Department of Health: https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/
- The Office of Governor Hogan: https://governor.maryland.gov/coronavirus/
- Johns Hopkins University & Medicine Coronavirus Resource Center: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
Please continue to practice good hygiene by washing and sanitizing hands frequently, avoid contact with sick people, cough or sneeze into your elbow, practice social distancing at all times and self-isolate if needed.
Please contact Jennifer Lyall at email@example.com with questions.
Public Information Officer
Cecil County Government