Cecil County Closures and Updates Due to Novel Coronavirus - Updated for March 24, 2020, 12:45 p.m.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 24, 2020
ELKTON, MD. – There are now THREE confirmed cases of the Novel Coronavirus in Cecil County.
Please visit the Maryland Department of Health website for more information and the latest statistics: https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/.
Please continue to practice good hygiene by washing and sanitizing hands frequently, avoid contact with sick people, cough or sneeze into your elbow, practice social distancing at all times and self-isolate.
Pursuant to Governor Hogan’s Order COVID19-04, Government Buildings and Facilities with Large Occupancy or Attendance, including state and local government buildings and facilities with an expected occupancy or attendance of more than 10 people, shall post in the building, and make readily available, a copy of the Maryland Department of Health recommendations for social distancing and must provide all occupants and attendees with the capability to wash their hands. County Executive Alan McCarthy has instructed the administration and staff at all county buildings and locations to adhere to these orders.
Learn more about Governor Hogan’s latest restrictions and guidelines concerning COVID-19 online, visit: https://governor.maryland.gov/coronavirus/.
Cecil County remains under a state of emergency issued by County Executive McCarthy on Monday, March 23rd.
The Cecil County Administration Building remains closed to the public, except by appointment only. The main number to the administration building is 410-996-5200.
The following updates were provided by local public information officers throughout Cecil County this morning:
Cecil County Council
The Council work session that was scheduled for March 24th has been cancelled. Council work sessions will be suspended until May 12th.
The first Council budget hearing will be held on Tuesday, April 7th at 4:30 p.m.; and next Legislative Session will follow at 7:00 p.m.
Cecil County Help Center
The Help Center building is closed to the general public.
If you are in need of EMERGENCY FOOD, please contact Cecil County DSS at 410-996-0100 for screening and referral. Breads/Sweets, as available, will be provided at our door between the hours of 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. (Times are subject to change).
ChristianaCare, Union Hospital
Current patient visitation guidelines can be found online: https://www.uhcc.com/about-us/in-the-news/coronavirus-update/
- The triage tent on Singerly Avenue is now operational every day from noon until 8:00 p.m.
- If someone thinks they have coronavirus symptoms and they do not have a primary care physician, they should call Union Primary Care at 410-620-0545.
- As of 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, March 24th, all visitors are required to wear a surgical mask the entire time they are visiting the hospital.
- The hospital is in need of volunteers to help sew cloth masks. However, they will need to adhere to the set pattern and instructions. To get the required specifications, please contact Kathryn McKinney at email@example.com.
Cecil Transit continues to operate a limited service in order to provide vital transportation for essential needs. In order to limit the number of passengers on each bus and to ensure that individuals are using public transportation for essential needs the following service modifications are being implemented:
- The Cross County Connection will continue to operate on its fixed route schedule. Effective today, additional buses will be dispatched, if necessary, to ensure that no more than 10 people are on a vehicle at any given time.
- The Glasgow Connection will transition from a fixed route service to a demand response type of service beginning on Wednesday, March 25th. The service will operate the same hours, from 5:40 a.m. until 6:20 p.m. Monday through Friday. Passengers should request a trip no less than an hour ahead of the pickup time. The demand response service will provide stop by stop service along the regular Glasgow Route and fixed route fares will be in effect.
Saturday service has been suspended until further notice.
Cecil County Health Department
Services at the Cecil County Health Department are by appointment only. Please contact the Health Department at 410-996-5550 to schedule an appointment.
In order to provide our residents with timely, accurate information the Health Department has initiated a Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Call Line at 410-996-1005. Health Department staff will be answering calls during business hours (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.) and a number will be provided for after-hours emergencies. For updates on the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit http://cecilcountyhealth.org/coronavirus/.
Department of Social Services
The building is still closed to the public but our staff is working to meet our customer’s needs. Customers calling 410-996-0100 will now receive the following message:
“You have reached the Cecil County Department of Social Services. Due to COVID-19 we are practicing social distancing and performing duties offsite.
If you are calling to report abuse or neglect of a child or an adult, you may call Emergency Services at 410-996-5350 – For all life threatening emergencies call 911…AGAIN, if you are calling to report abuse or neglect of a child or an adult, you may call Emergency Services at 410-996-5350 – For all life threatening emergencies call 911.
To request emergency food stamps assistance, cash assistance, SNAP food benefits, or home energy assistance for you or your family please call 1-800-332-6347 or apply online at mydhrbenefits.dhr.state.md.us
For Child Support Services, please call 1-800-332-6347, or apply online at www.mydhrbenefits.dhr.state.md.us”
Other important numbers to know:
- FIA: 410-996-0100, option 1
- CPS/APS intake line: 410-996-0100, option 3 (this includes food referrals)
- OHEP: 410-996-0270
To stay current on developments regarding the Novel Coronavirus on the following websites:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- Maryland Department of Health: https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/
- The Office of Governor Hogan: https://governor.maryland.gov/coronavirus/
- Johns Hopkins University & Medicine Coronavirus Resource Center: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
- Cecil County Health Department: http://cecilcountyhealth.org/coronavirus/
- Cecil County Government: https://www.ccgov.org/services/coronavirus-information
Questions? Please contact Jennifer Lyall at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public Information Officer
Cecil County Government