Local Rules & Regulations now available! Posted 10/28/2016
Worker's Compensation Verification Form now available!
The Board of License Commissioners and employees will train and educate the alcoholic beverage licensees and citizens in the importance of complying with all alcohol-related laws, with an emphasis on reducing the flow of alcohol to persons under the age of 21. When necessary, the Board and its employees will aggressively enforce all alcoholic beverage laws of Cecil County and the State of Maryland to promote and uphold the health, safety and general welfare of our communities.
The Board of License Commissioners, in accordance with the Alcoholic Beverages Titles, approves and issues alcoholic beverage licenses and conducts hearings when a violation regarding the sale of alcoholic beverages occurs.
The Board is also responsible for conducting inspections and/or surveillance investigations of licensed facilities to ensure compliance with all applicable state and county laws, rules and regulations.
The Cecil County Board of License Commissioners consists of three members recommended by the County Executive and approved by the Council. Each appointed Commissioner serves for three years on a staggered basis.
Supporting staff include Chief Alcoholic Beverage Inspector, five part-time Alcoholic Beverage Inspectors and an office administrator.
The Board of License Commissioners meets once a month, usually on the last Wednesday.
General Information on Cecil County Liquor Licenses
1. Alcoholic Beverages Titles, Section 17-1601 permits one liquor license to be issued for every 400 registered voters in each of the nine election polling districts of the County. Currently, there are currently 141 licenses in Cecil County.
2. Different types of Liquor Licenses that can be obtained are:
Included in Quota system:
- Class "A"--Package Store
- Refillable Container License
- Class "B"--Restaurant/Hotel
- Catered Event License
- Refillable Container License
- Class "D"--Tavern
- Class “DBR” - Class “D” Brewery
Outside of Quota system:
- Class "BLX"--On-Sale Restaurant
- Class "C"--Club--Non-profit & Profit
- Strictly on-premises sales
- Class "GC"--Golf Club
- Strictly on-premises sale
Other types of Liquor Licenses:
- Special Class "C" Fire Department License--Special license for fire departments which is good for 24 dates per year
- Special Class "C" One-Day License--each non-profit organization may apply for up to four dates per year
3. Under the Alcohol Awareness Training Law, on & off-premise retail alcohol beverage establishments are required to maintain at least one licensee or designated employee who has been currently certified in an approved alcohol awareness training program.
General Information on Applying for a Liquor License
1. All applications must have a zoning certificate signed by the proper zoning authority stating premise is zoned properly for an alcoholic beverage license.
2. There is a non-refundable application fee of $400.
3. Applicants may apply as:
- Individual: Must be two-year resident and registered voter in Cecil County
- Partnership: Both persons must be two-year resident and registered voter in Cecil County
- Limited Liability Company: At least one member must be two-year resident and registered voter in Cecil County
- Corporation: At least one person must be two-year resident and registered voter in Cecil County
4. Application deadline is the 1st business day of each month.
For more information regarding the application process, please contact Robin Trader at 410-996-5215.