Any registered voter in Maryland may request and vote by absentee ballot.
A voter who would like to vote by absentee ballot may request an absentee ballot:
- Online for voters with a Maryland driver's license or MVA-issued ID card;
- By submitting a signed application;
- By telephone;
- In writing; or
- In person at the Cecil County Board of Elections.
To request an absentee ballot application from the Cecil County Board of Elections, call (410) 996-5310 or visit the Election Office at the Cecil County Administration Building from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.
Voters may also visit http://elections.state.md.us/voting/absentee.html to request an absentee ballot online, to print an application, or for more information.
Complete and return one of the forms below. Read the instructions, enter the required information, print the form, sign it, and return it to the Cecil County Board of Elections. You can return it by mail, fax, or email (scanned as an attachment).
- Absentee ballot application for 2020 elections (PDF) - New
- Solicitud de Papeleta de Votante Ausente para las Elecciones del 2020 (PDF) - New
If a voter misses the applicable deadline, the absentee ballot request must be made in person at the Cecil County Board of Elections.
The deadline depends on how you want to receive your blank ballot.
For the 2020 Primary Election, your request must be received (not just mailed) by:
- Tuesday, April 21, 2020, if you want to receive your ballot by mail or fax
- Friday, April 24, 2020, if you want to download your ballot from the State's website
For the 2020 General Election, your request must be received (not just mailed) by:
- Tuesday, October 27, 2020, if you want to receive your ballot by mail or fax
- Friday, October 30, 2020, if you want to download your ballot from the State's website
If you hand deliver your request and the ballots are ready, you can pick up your absentee ballot. You may take your absentee ballot with you and return it by mail or you can vote it at the local board office and give it to an election official. Please visit your local board of elections' website for hours of operation.
If you miss the deadline but still want to vote by absentee ballot, you or your agent must apply in person at your local board of elections.
Under the federal Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, military voters and voters who live outside the U.S. can vote by absentee ballot. If you are a military voter or live outside of the U.S., learn more about absentee voting.
Note: Maryland does not have a permanent absentee list. If you wish to vote by absentee ballot, you must apply for an absentee ballot each primary and general election cycle.
For more information, please contact the Cecil County Board of Elections at 410-996-5310 or the State Board of Elections at 1-800-222-VOTE (8683) or www.elections.state.md.us.