Voter registration volunteers offer people the opportunity to register to vote, distribute voter registration applications, assist people with completing voter registration applications and return completed applications to our office.
To be a VRV, you must:
- Be *18 years of age or older
- Never have been convicted of buying or selling votes
You will receive training on how to complete Maryland's voter registration application and ensure that the application is completed and accurate and information about the State's identification requirements. At the conclusion of the training, you must sign an affidavit that you will act according to the training and regulations and will receive a certificate identifying you as a voter registration volunteer**.
- Completed and collected Voter Registration Applications MUST be mailed or delivered to the Election Office within 5 days of its completion. An applicant may return their own application or entrust a volunteer to return it for them.
- Individuals who are 16 years of age can register to vote. A letter will be sent to confirm that their application has been processed and held in a pending status; this is until they are 18 years of age before or on a general election.
- DO NOT, under any circumstances, discuss political/candidate preferences or advise applicants to select one party over another. If the applicant is unsure of which party affiliation to select, they may leave Box 9 blank, which will indicate that the voter is Unaffiliated/Independent of any political party.
- Remind voters that they may register with any political party that they wish. If they would like to take part in the political party’s Primary Election, caucus, or convention they must affiliate with the associated party.
- Please verify that the application is complete, signed, and legible. If we are unable to clearly read the applicant’s penmanship, we will not be able to ensure the accuracy of their registration. Therefore, it is beneficial for applicant’s to include a phone number so that we may contact them if we experience difficulties.
If you are interested in serving as a voter registration volunteer, call our office at 410-996-5310.
*Must be 18 by the General Election
**VRV's do not receive compensation