The mission of the Department of Budget is to ensure that the County's Operating Budget is in balance and that the County allocates resources in a manner that is consistent with the County Executive's priorities and with the goals and objectives of County departments.
The Department of Budget accomplishes its Mission by
- Providing fiscal expertise and support for financial decision making based on realistic and accurate assumptions
- Developing an Operating Budget, Capital Budget and Multi-Year Financial Plan that are based on strict adherence to established and generally accepted financial policies and best practices and realistic assumptions
- Collaborating with County departments to assist them in achieving their goals and objectives
- Providing accurate, timely and understandable financial information to the County's managers, fiscal monitors and the public
- Performing special projects that require the coordination of multiple departments and/or multiple disciplines to improve, among other things, fiscal management, general business processes, energy management, and technology utilization.
- Coordinate, compile and review all departmental and agency requests for operating and capital budgets
- Compile and recommend revenue estimates for all funds
- Analyze, calculate and develop various taxes, rates and user fees
- Coordinate and assemble the County Official Offering Statement associated with new bond issues
- Assist in developing, and presenting County financial information to the bond rating agencies, financial advisors, and bond counselors
- Monitor all budgets throughout the year
- Respond to general inquiries and surveys from public, private, and governmental organizations
- Coordinate, compile and review all departmental and agency requests for the Capital Improvement Program
- Generate quarterly revenue and expense projections compared to current budget and prior year for presentation to management and the County Council