Correspondence can be mailed or faxed to:
Cecil County Ethics Commission
200 Chesapeake Blvd., Suite 2800
Elkton, MD 21921
For general information about filing or reviewing forms, you may contact Human Resources at 410-996-5250.
PLEASE BE ADVISED:
The Ethics Commission meets quarterly with the next meeting being held on February 13, 2017 at 4 PM in the Rising Sun Room at the County Administration Building. Please be aware that due to the nature of its duties, the Ethics Commission may have to go into Closed Session during its meeting.
"Cecil County, recognizing that our system of representative government is dependent in part upon the people maintaining the highest trust in their public officials and employees, finds and declares that the people have a right to be assured that the impartiality and independent judgment of public officials and employees will be maintained." - Cecil County Code, Ethics, Chapter 39.
The Ethics Commission consists of five members appointed by the County Executive to staggered four-year terms and until their successors are appointed. All members shall reside in and be qualified voters of Cecil County. Not more than three members of the Commission shall be affiliated with the same political party. (Chapter 39)
Current members of the Ethics Commission are:
- Joe Cline, Chairperson - term expires 12/2017
- L. Michelle Henson- term expires 4/2020
- Donna Caudell- term expires 12/2020
- Robert Boonstoppel - term expires 7/2020
- Nick Cusmano - term expires 12/2018
2017 Meeting Schedule
- February 13, 2017
- May 8, 2017
- August 14, 2017
- October 12, 2017 - Special Session
- November 13, 2017
Purpose and Responsibilities
To promote transparency and to promote good government is everybody’s business. The Ethics Commission has asked the Director of Finance to post the following on a cumulative basis according to Chapter 39, the Cecil County Ethics Law:
‘Doing business with’ means:
- Having or negotiating a contract that involves the commitment, either in a single or combination of transactions, of $5000 or more of county controlled funds, or
- Being regulated by or subject to the authority of Cecil County, or
- Being registered as a lobbyist under Chapter 39.
The Ethics Commission, acting under authority of Cecil County and Maryland state law, is charged with the following responsibilities:
- Oversight, retention, review and enforcement of statements of financial and gift disclosure and conflicts of interest for county employees, elected officials, candidates for county office, and Board and Commission appointees.
- Oversight, retention, review and enforcement of annual registration and gift disclosure requirements for lobbyists.
- Issuance of advisory opinions regarding ethics rules, regulations, and requirements.
- Review and rule on complaints filed alleging ethics violations by persons subject to ethics laws.
- Respond to and inform public regarding ethics rules, regulations, and requirements.
- Certify to State Ethics Commission annually that county is in compliance with state mandated standards.
- Cecil County Code, Chapter 39
- Ethics Commission Member Duties
- Ethics Commission FAQs
- Monthly Payments Over $500
Forms and Instructions
- ETHICS TRAINING MODULE
- Lobbyist Registration Cover Letter
- Lobbyist Disclosure Requirements & Instructions
- Form L-1: Lobbyist Registration Statement
- Form L-2: Lobbyist Gift Disclosure Report
- Notice to Employees and Officials re: Ethics Law - Acknowledgement of Understanding
- Financial Disclosure Form - Cover Letter
- Financial Disclosure Form 1 - Elected Officials, Candidates & County Department Heads
- Financial Disclosure Form 1 - Instructions
- Financial Disclosure Form 2 - Qualifying Employees; Appointed members of Boards & Commissions; & County Attorneys for boards, commissions, Council & Executive
- Financial Disclosure Form 2 - Instructions
- Financial Disclosure Form 3 - Advance Notice of Conflict
- Ethics Complaint Form