Elected Offices & County Departments   State Departments   Home

County Executive

County Council
Meetings and Agendas
Public Meetings Calendar
Quick Links
Press Releases
Forms and Permits
Boards and Commissions
Online Services
Bids and Proposals
Property Taxes / Utility Bills
County Code
Contact Directory
Join us on Facebook!

Dept. of Public Works
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Easements | Grading | Roads | Stormwater Management | Utilities | Wastewater


  1. Can I build an out-structure (shed, garage, pole barn, etc…) within  a drainage/utility easement on my lot?
    No. These easements must remain open to allow access for inspection/repair to the utility line or drainage conveyance contained within the easement.
  2. How do I find out if there is an easement on my lot? 
    You can check the recorded plat that created your lot. This can be done at the Office of Planning and Zoning (410-996-5220) or you  may contact the Department of Public Works (410-996-5265).


  1. What is a lot grading plan? When is a lot grading plan required?
    A lot grading plan is a plan that shows how your site will be graded (through contours) to convey the runoff in a manner that you are not going to adversely impact any adjacent property owners or  the environment. A lot grading plan is required as a part of a stormwater management plan. A grading plan is also required where there has been greater than 5,000 square feet of disturbance of land area. Where 'disturbance' means the grading, moving, or digging of soils, the removal of grass and other ground covers, placement of fill or surface material (such as stone, concrete, asphalt), or the removal of stumps.
  2. What is a lot grading as-built plan (individual residential lots)?
    A lot grading as-built plan is a red-lined drawing of the approved lot grading plan, where all deviations from the approved plan is shown in red. Furthermore, a lot grading as-built is required to be submitted and approved prior to issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy.  ( See Section 325-23 (B) of the Cecil County Stormwater Management Ordinance for further clarification).


  1. How do you find out if my road is a County maintained road?
    Call Cecil County Roads Division at (410) 996-6270.
  2. Is permit required to extend our driveway culvert or install additional culvert along a County maintained ditch? 
    Permits are required for driveway culvert extensions and to install additional culverts along a County maintained ditch. Permit  request document can be obtained on the County Website.
  3. How can I get a speed limit changed?    A written request to the Chief of the Cecil County Roads Division.
  4. How can I get a speed bump?     Cecil County Roads Division does not provide or install speed bumps.
  5. People speeding on my road, who do I call?
    If it is a County owned road call Cecil County Sheriff Office at  410-996-5500. If it is a State-owned road call Maryland State Police 410-996-7800.

Stormwater Management

  1. Who owns and maintains the stormwater management ponds in my development?
    Stormwater management ponds belong to the Homeowners  Association (HOA) affiliated with your development. The ponds   maintenance is the responsibility of the (HOA).
  2. What is Stormwater Management?
    "Stormwater Management" means:(a) For quantitative control, a system of vegetative, structural, and other measures that control the increased volume and rate of surface runoff caused by man-made changes to the land; and (b) For qualitative control, a system of vegetative, structural, and other measures that reduce or eliminate pollutants that may otherwise be carried by surface runoff.
  3. What are the determining factors in deciding whether or not stormwater management will be required?
    See Section 325-4 of the Cecil County Stormwater Management Ordinance.
  4. Are there any instances in which stormwater management will not be required at all? Partially required?
    See Section 325-(5), (6), (7), (8) and (9) of the Cecil County Stormwater Management Ordinance.
  5. What is required if it is determined that stormwater management is needed?
    See Section 325-(10), (11), (12) and (13) of the Cecil County Stormwater  Management Ordinance.
  6. Who can prepare a stormwater management plan?
    See Section 325-(14) and (15) of the Cecil County Stormwater Management Ordinance.


  1. Is a permit required to install utilities along or across County maintained roads?
    Permits are required when installing utilities within the County right of way or perpetual right of maintenance. You must submit a letter of intent describing the work, installation process and a drawing indicating the exact location and pertinent details.
  2. What are the little colored flags or colored painted lines on my property?
    The flags or painting of lines are the means utility companies mark their locations for some type of work to be done in area. The following colors represent utilities as follows:  Red: Electric;  Yellow: Gas-Oil; Orange: Communications; Blue: Water; Green: Sewer ;  White: Proposed Excavation.


  1. Who do I contact if I have sewer billing question?
    If you receive your bill for the service from one of the towns in Cecil County, contact the Town directly. If you receive your bill for the service from Cecil County, contact the Treasurers Office at 410-996-5390.
  2. Who should I contact if I have a problem with my sewer service?
    If you are billed for the service by any of the towns in Cecil County, contact the town directly. If you are billed for your service by Cecil County, contact the Wastewater Division at 410-996-6260 Monday thru Friday 8:00 to 4:30. If you should have an emergency after hours, call410-996-5588.
  3. If I have my own well or septic system and have a question or concern who do I contact? 
    Contact the Cecil County Health Department at 410-996-5160.
  4. Is public sewer available in my area?
    Contact Cecil County Wastewater Division at 410-996-6260.
  5. How can I hook up to County sewer? 
    A request should be made through Department of Public Works. Public Works will review the request to determine if sewer is available within the area requested.
  6. Where does Cecil County's maintenance responsibilities of the sewer system begin or end? 
    The County's ownership and maintenance responsibilities begin or end at the property line. Services and pipes located on private property are the responsibility of the property owner.
  7. How much does it cost for a single family sanitary sewer house connection to a County owned sewer main? 
    $12,000.00 per connection for new home construction, existing home or commercial property. Plus a benefit assessment fee if applicable. Owner is responsible for the plumbing and utility construction costs.
  8. When do I have to pay these fees? 
    All connection fees are collected at the time you pick up your building permit.

Copyright © Cecil County Government 2016